Swimsuit season has always held really conflicting emotions for me. I love the beach, love the water, love being in the sunshine and taking long walks in the sand and waves…but what I do NOT love is wearing a bathing suit. For a long time in my life, I just avoided situations involving bathing suits altogether, or suffered through the heat in my cover up so no one would see me with it off. This confession makes me really sad for all the fun opportunities I have missed, but it’s the truth! Now I have a son to play with, and he doesn’t care what size I am or what I look like in a bathing suit – and neither should I. He needs a mom who loves herself and who is proud of what her body can do, so I am working on that all the time. I try to remind myself that no one is criticizing my body like I do (and if they are, then they aren’t my people). I also try to remember that whenever I look at all kinds of bodies in bathing suits, I am not critical of them, so I shouldn’t be so hard on myself! We all have bodies, they’re all different, they all carry us through this life. I’m trying very hard to adopt the mantra, “This is what I look like. I need clothes that will fit me well and look good on me at this stage in my life. It’s okay if they are bigger or smaller than clothes I had at another stage in my life.” I am also considering some sunless tanning options because you know, as they say, if you can’t tone it, tan it. Any FOOL PROOF recommendations that don’t cost an arm and leg would be highly appreciated.
I realize that all of those things are easier said than done, but it’s so important for us to love the skin we’re in! Part of that is finding clothes and bathing suits that make you feel sassy, comfortable, and, for me, covered! I have a large chest, so I am really careful about necklines. If you like to show off what you got, YOU GO GIRL. I just know I feel better when I’m a little more covered up. I also have to be careful with one piece lengths, because sometimes my chest takes up so much room that the bathing suit becomes too short and doesn’t fit well. I have had good luck with long torso sizing in one pieces, which a lot of places have now. When I figured that out, it really changed the game for me!
Believe me when I say that I spent a LONG TIME finding winners for this post. It would be easy to slap some suits up here and call it a day, but I really wanted to make sure I was giving thoughtful recommendations. My first go-to is always Caralyn Mirand’s site. This isn’t the first time I’m mentioning her, and I’m sure it won’t be the last! She has tons of great swimsuit recommendations and she is big on size inclusivity, which is important to me, too. I’ve used a few of her finds in this post, but I also c r a w l e d the internet to find all kinds of suits with lots of preferences and body types in mind.
Let’s hop to it! I ordered these by shop because I found so many that look promising! All the links are below the images in the numbers, as well as in the descriptions. I personally feel most comfortable in a modest neckline, like I said, but I also look for tummy control and semi-full butt coverage, as well as being particular about how much and what areas of my back are showing. I also kind of refuse to spend more than $100 on a bathing suit. A tall order! So all of the suits I’m sharing fit the bill for most, if not all of these requirements.
This brand was introduced to me through Caralyn Mirand because she loves their suits – and I can see why! These look so pretty, high quality, and like they will last forever if taken care of. Lots of size inclusivity and classic designs that will flatter almost any body shape! I love their branding; they truly seem to celebrate all bodies, ethnicities, ages, abilities, etc. here, and I love that they even have a few options for little girls (it’s a women-focused brand). These are a little more high end and some go over $100 (I know, I know, I JUST said I refuse to spend over $100), so these would be more like investment pieces. Maybe you get 1 this summer and 1 next summer or when they go on sale if the price tag is too steep for you!
- The Sidestroke one piece and long torso sidestroke: Love the look of this suit. So polished, and I love the color combos. Sizes 0-24.
- The wide strap oasis: Okay, this one is a little above $100 but looks so flattering! Sizes 2-22. I love the print of this one!
- The ruffle oasis: Also LOVE. Also $125 like the previous suit but I love the two-toned color option here. Sizes 2-22.
- The ruched back flip: Comes in 3 color options. Sizes 2-22.
- The perfect wrap one piece: Beautiful design, not too much cleavage, and a great color block pattern. I love the tie detail and the coverage in the back. Lots of color/print options! Sizes 2-22.
- Ruffle oasis bikini top and high waisted ruffle bottoms: So pretty! Love the ruffle. I am not usually one for busy patterns, but I like this one and also of course like the solid black, haha! Sizes 2-22.
- The cove: Love the big open back on this one. I would be a little nervous to rock it, but I love the look! Balanced nicely with the high neck and full coverage front. Sizes 2-22.
Whitney actually got a suit from here last summer or the summer before, I can’t remember – but it is so cute on her and she absolutely loves it. This site has so many wonderful options. Another brand that seems really inclusive, which I very much appreciate! A little bit pricier, but not bad. Also has matching little girl suits – too cute! For this brand, I’m really here for the almost-one-piece-two-pieces. That’s coverage with a flair, and I am all about it.
- The sailor: Love all of these different print and color options! A lot of them are sold out in some sizes, but there are still lots of options available. This looks so flattering! Sizes XXS-3X.
- White sands: The button detail on this one is so cute! Red or blue stripes, red polka dots, blue & white gingham, or red, white, and blue for your holiday dazzlings. Sizes S-XXL.
- The traveler top: I mean this is basically a swim tank and I SAY YES. Love the knot detail. Lots of prints and colors available, in sizes XXS-XXL.
- The lounger top: I am in love with this button and tie detail on the back! I included an image of two different body types so you can see how lovely it looks on both! Sizes XXS-3X.
- Beach babe top: This one is going FAST and I can see why! Only a few options in each color. LOVE this top. Comes in XXS-XXL. The back is a simple scoop.
- Laguna top: You can’t go wrong here. XXS-XXL.
- Stay-cation top: Sweetheart neckline, ruching at the bust, and a tie knot at the waist. Love. I also included two body types for this one. XXS-XXL.
- Cabana reversible bottoms: YES to a ruffled peplum bottom that comes up high enough to make it look like a one piece. Lots of prints, and reversible to a solid! Sizes XXS-3X.
- Sunbaked bottoms: Comes up high, with ruching, and just seems like it would hold you in well! XXS-3X.
- Barefoot bottoms: These aren’t quite as severely high waisted as the other two, but still come up a good bit. I love the side panels on these and the ruching in front and back. Lots of options, size XXS-3X.
Old Navy has been doin’ me right lately. Their dresses always fit me the best, and I’m excited to see all of these pretty suits! They do have a lot of reversible top options right now, which is kind of neat – but then you realize if it’s reversible, how can it have any padding or support? So I didn’t include any of those in this list because ya girl has to have at least some light support.
- Textured one shoulder side cut out one piece: I actually love the texture on this, and I love both bold colors it comes in! A nice and less expensive alternative to the J. Crew cutout one piece I’m linking later in the post. Here is a smooth, non-textured one in black. Both are XS-XXL.
- Ruffled one shoulder top: Love this color. Easy to mix and match with any bottoms you like! Sizes XS-XXL.
- Flutter sleeve v-neck top: So cute! Not sure of the cleavage situation for someone with a larger chest, but I love the ruffle sleeve on this and the full cover across the upper back – the area I get sunburned the most easily! Sizes XS-4X.
- High neck crop top: I used to have a top that was this shape from Target and I absolutely loved it. This one comes in sizes XS-XXL and would go with any bottoms you like!
- High waisted swim bottoms: So many prints, but I love the tropical one in the picture shown above. I also love the dots! XS-XXL. Here are more prints of the same bottom on sale! These are XS-3X with lots of good color and print options, too!
- Rashguard long sleeved one piece: This is just a great idea all around for those of us (me, it’s me) who need extra sun protection. Also comes in black, sizes XS-XXL.
Target has always been a go-to for me. The last couple of years, I’ve had a hard time finding clothes at Target, but I gave it a shot and combed through their 12 pages of bathing suits to find these. These are all going fast, so I hope there are sizes left if you find one you want!
- Knot front one piece suit: If you’re feeling a little racy! I love this print and the low scoop back. Comes in XS-3X.
- Ring back one piece: Loving this multi colored print. Very different than what I would usually go for, but so fun and bright! Only comes in S-XL.
- Strappy back classic coverage one piece: So pretty! Comes in XS-XL and 14-26. This one looks so flattering.
- Plus size cinch keyhole one piece: This one is only available in sizes 14-26, but I thought it was so pretty! Again, not a print I would usually go for, but I love this one!
- Twist front classic one piece: I love this silhouette. The subtle wrap on the bust, ruching, and tie-up back all seem like they would look great on any body type. This one comes in 2 prints, size S-XL and 14-26.
- Tortoise ring one piece: I love this suit! Only comes in XS-XL, unfortunately. I also saw in the reviews that the real suit comes across more nude than pink as pictured. I love the pink – so I left it in the roundup in case it’s a winner for someone!
J. Crew is another swim brand that is a splurge, but definitely worth it. I know that from personal experience, but also have friends who rave about their suits! A good investment if you’re able to. Some of their swimwear isn’t as size inclusive as other brands, but I read an article that they are “working on it.” Some of these options do come in a wide size range, but a lot are just size 0-16. I also wish they had a more diverse brand with their models! Most are all the same body type. All that being said, they do have some really beautiful and well-made suits!
- Ruched one shoulder one piece: Love the way that this ruching is designed, as well as the back panel contrasting to the one shoulder look. A really nicely designed suit! Sizes 0-16.
- Ruched bandeau one piece: Similar, but can be worn strapless or with a halter strap. Comes in classic sizing 0-24, or long torso 0-16. Also comes in leopard print which I am here for, but of course at a higher price point. Go figure.
- Colorblock bandeau one piece: Love this simple design! 2 color options, but I love the mulberry. Sizes 0-24, no long torso option.
- Bow tie one shoulder one piece: Now this is classic with a twist. I love love love the tie over the shoulder! So pretty and gives just a little bit of flare. Comes in solid colors, size 0-16. Great reviews, including some from curvier women and women with larger chests!
- Cut-out one piece: I got this bathing suit a couple years ago for our honeymoon in a beautiful coral and peach colorblock, and it fit so beautifully. I got mine in long torso, which doesn’t seem to be available for this one. This one comes in 0-16, but the solid colors come in 0-24.
- Scalloped scoop back one piece: Love this! So darling. They also have a scalloped two piece which is so sweet, but really pricey for both pieces! Of course this is a more expensive style; that’s how it always goes, right? But I love the scalloped detail and the low back. Comes in 3 colors, sizes 0-24. Some of the reviews say it fits large in the chest and straps, but that would probably not be an issue for me personally so it would not deter me, haha!
- 1989 scoop back one piece: Just an absolute classic. Business in the front, party in the back. Need I say more? Comes in sizes 0-24.
- Ruffle deep V one piece: This would be a big no for me with the cleavage situation, but I think it’s SO pretty and would look lovely on someone with a smaller chest (or someone who doesn’t mind showing what they got!). The reviews from people with larger chests say that it wasn’t a great fit up top. Comes in sizes 0-24.
- Tie shoulder french bikini top: This top is $$$ but if you already have a bottom that would match it, maybe you could justify the cost? I just think it’s so pretty. The tie straps would be good for adjustable support. Comes in XXS-3X.
Along with Target, Amazon has always been my first stop when I’m looking for…..basically anything. You can also find a lot of duds on Amazon, so I always read a LOT of reviews and look at customer images to make my decisions. Even with being careful, I still sometimes get flops, but hopefully these are all good buys and good fits! Most of these are the more affordable options out of this roundup.
- Ekouaer vintage tummy control one piece: Just a lovely silhouette, and the shirring is typically a really flattering element to a suit. This has really great reviews, tons of print/color options, and comes in sizes XS-XXL. Adjustable straps!
- Upopby vintage push up one piece with tummy control: Very very similar to the first suit! Also has great reviews. Only comes in sizes 6-18, which is a little odd, but still a pretty good range! I love the hot pink but there are lots of options. Adjustable straps on this one, too!
- Hilor front twist v-neck one piece with tummy control: Also very similar to the first two…I am sensing a pattern here! But this one looks really nice as well, has a more defined v-neck if you like that better, adjustable straps, and same size range as #2, size 6-18.
- Famulily off shoulder ruffle one piece: This one is honestly more like a leotard than a bathing suit, but I absolutely love it. There really isn’t much to it, there are no straps, no ruching, no chest cups, no tummy control, no nothing that I usually look for…but somehow it just WORKS. I have ordered this in 2 colors and usually wear it as a strapless bathing suit so the ruffles can give me some coverage. It also does NOT go all the way up in your butt cheeks like the picture shows, at least not on me, haha! Only comes in size S-XL.
- Tempt me off the shoulder ruffled one piece: This is another option similar to the one above with more structure and straps! Lots of colors, great reviews, great price! Sizes XS-18.
- Cupshe scoop neck double strap one piece: I absolutely love the print on this suit! Comes in sizes XS-XXL, which their size chart says is a size 20. The customer images of this one look really good, too!
- ZAFUL high waisted scoop neck two piece: Such a cute little two piece with a lot of coverage! Lots of print and color options, great customer reviews and pictures. Comes in sizes S-XXL.
- Cupshe high neck tummy control one piece: I love the cutouts on the neckline, and the tie up design of the back! Little details that make it stand out. And I love the orange, but there are lots of options. Sizes XS-XXL.
- Holipick tankini tummy control two piece: I honestly never thought I would be into a tankini, but I’m digging this one. Some of the prints look more matronly than the others, but there are a lot of really cute options. Comes in sizes XS-22.
I honestly never would have even considered looking at Land’s End for bathing suits, but I guess I’m in that age range now, haha! I actually saw the first suit below on another influencer’s Instagram stories (@tarynnewton), and then I started exploring the whole swim line and found a few gems! The only thing that was slightly annoying is that they have a separate section for plus sized swimwear, but with a lot of the same options as the “regular” sizing…why not just put everything together? Otherwise, I am really pleased at the selection here for when you need a nice “mom” bathing suit without looking too frumpy. A little pricey, but I bet they are made well and worth the investment. Lots of these are on sale right now so hurry if you’re interested! As with almost anywhere, you can also mix and match tops & bottoms. There are so many options for all sizes, ranging from bikini tops to full on swim leggings and cardigans for the most modesty! You read it right. I was impressed that they had such a variety for preference, beliefs, and needs. They also have a section for larger busts and women who have had mastectomy surgeries.
- First up, this Land’s End suit that I saw from Taryn Newton online. I think it’s so pretty with the color blocking and tie detail, plus a high neckline and full back coverage. Classic with a twist – my favorite! Available in plus size up to a 26.
- One shoulder one piece with tummy control and adjustable strap: Comes in solid black or the color blocked blue option shown here (also in red/pink). Looks flattering and great for any body type! Also comes in plus size up to a 26.
- Tummy control bandeau one piece: Really cute prints up to a size 18, as well as a D cup option. Available in plus size up to a 26 – loving the deep sea navy palm print!
- Grecian tummy control one piece: Land’s End is coming in clutch with the tummy control. I love the way this looks and how it has fabric where there would otherwise be a deep plunge! Solid color options available, too! Also comes in plus size up to a 24.
- Slender Carmela tummy control scoop neck one piece: Love the detail on the neckline, and the back has a pretty criss cross, too! I love that this comes in regular and D cup all the way to DDD cup, as well as in plus sizing up to a size 24 and/or G cup!
- Twist front bikini top and high waisted bottoms with seer sucker color blocking: I really love this set! So cute and also comes in plus sizing up to a 26.
- Adjustable cap sleeved top with matching high waisted bottoms: YES TO THIS SET. Only available in this color scheme in a few sizes, but also includes a D cup option. Also in plus sizing up to a 26.
- At this season in my life, I am loving a rash guard moment because after a few days in the sun, my fair and sensitive skin really starts to protest! I get rashy and uncomfortable no matter how much SPF I use. These are also a great option if you’re just trying to minimize sun exposure or if you have a sunburn (but hopefully that’s not the case for us this summer!). I love this orange and blue long sleeved option, this longer short-sleeved striped option, and this solid color long sleeved one (all UPF 50). Many, if not all, of these are also available in plus sizing.
WOOF. Okay ladies, there you have it! This was a big haul! If I messed up a link, missed any sizing, or made any other mistakes, I’m sorry! As I remind my high school students frequently, teachers are people too, haha! Another brand you might like is Everything But Water – I didn’t include them in this roundup because they are extra pricey, but they have a ton of suits and even options up to a G cup! They also have some really sassy suits. I also really really love American Eagle for swimsuits, but when I looked to add some to this post, so many were sold out that it didn’t seem worth it right now. Let me know which suits are your favorite and if you end up getting any from my list!
Any Amazon links in this post are affiliate links, which means I may earn commission if you click and buy directly from this site. I would never steer you wrong!